Sunday 6 October 2013

Well, that's it.


Well, that's it, its all over and this is my last blog, and what an amazing experience it's been.

Cardiff is just the most beautiful city and it looked particularly spectacular this morning bathed in the early Autumn sunshine. A perfect day, cool, bright and clear blue skies. 



Over 19,000 runners assembled outside Cardiff Castle to start this years Lloyds Bank Cardiff Half Marathon amongst which was this novice in his first ever event, nervous and excited. But a chance to meet new friends and get some last minute advice!


And Wales' very own Olympic hero, Colin Jackson got proceedings underway just before 9am with the elite runners following the wheelchair athletes.






But before I give you a blow by blow account of the day, I'd like to say a huge THANK YOU to all of you that have sponsored me, donated money and generally offered words of support and  encouragement during that past few weeks and months. I've genuinely been overwhelmed by the way you've all got so enthused by the whole thing. 


As you now know, I was in the 'yellow pen'…  I mean, how humiliating is it to be stood there limbering up full of trepidation as to what the next two hours hold and look round only to see a old guy dressed from head to toe in orange, pushing a vacuum cleaner around the course!? It was a great atmosphere though. Anyway, the first four miles were good and apart from the long drag up the hill towards Penarth, and the run across the barrage was fabulous with a stunning view of cardiff bay in the sunshine.

The worst part was Roath Park, but I kind of expected that as I had been warned by seasoned 'Cardiff Half' runners. Firstly it comes at about the 10 mile marker, so you're feeling pretty flat at that point anyway, secondly its on a slight incline as you go up one side(which seems to go on for ever) and thirdly (and worst of all) you can see the runners way ahead of you coming back down the other side of the lake.



Still, pretty much all down hill from there to the finish which I can't tell you how pleased I was to see! 

Picked up my medal and souvenir T shirt before having to navigate a whole team of people handing out bananas!  - anyone who knows me will be aware that me and bananas don't mix!


The knee (heavily strapped) held out which was my biggest concern pre race and apart from a few rather achy muscles I came out of the whole thing pretty unscathed.






But what about the time I hear you ask… well, 2 hrs 7 mins and 7secs. I'd have taken anything under 2hrs 30mins before the race, so was happy with that, although if I'd have picked up my pace a little more in the last 3 miles, could I have achieved a sub 2 hour time? - maybe next time… Next time!?

Revd. Steve, me and Damion, all running for CYO


What next? Ask me in a few weeks…  Did I hear someone mention the London marathon? 

Thanks again to everyone.

The Old Geezer

No comments:

Post a Comment